Cougars Duel Augustana Saturday at Prairie
THIS WEEK IN COUGAR GOLF
The University of Sioux Falls women’s golf team will wrap up the 2012-13 regular season with a dual against cross-town rival Augustana College. The one-round contest will take place Saturday, April 27 at Prairie Green Golf Course in Sioux Falls, S.D.
A very familiar course for both teams, Prairie Green was rated one of Golf Digest’s Best New Affordable Courses in 1996 and is currently the highest rated public course in the region. A links style course designed by Dick Nugent, at Prairie Green players experience generous fairways, prairie wetlands, and well-bunkered greens.
The last time the Cougars played at Prairie Green they placed sixth out of 12 teams at the 2012 Augustana Spring Invite. As a team, USF posted a two-round score of 650 (321-329) on the par-72 course. Kali Gottsleben (75-78) and Tavia Rutherford (78-78) had the best individual score cards, as they finished ninth and 13th respectively.
LINEUP (SEASON AVG.)
1. Tavia Rutherford (81.80)
2. Kali Gottsleben (84.00)
3. Davee Johnson (92.43)
4. Audrey Kieliszewski (92.50)
5. Kelsey Leif (94.24)
Individual Scorers: Tia Nihart (89.44), Ashley Heupel (101.00) and Macy Milburn (102.40)
LAST TIME OUT
Sioux Falls (1403) posted a 346 in the final round of the NSIC Women’s Golf Championship Sunday to finish fourth out of 13 teams in the conference. Tavia Rutherford was USF’s only player in the top-10 of the individual leaderboard.
Rutherford (86-85-81-85) tallied an 86, giving her a 72-hole score of 338, which tied for ninth place. It was her seventh top-10 finish of the season. Sara Swaney (86-92-77-89) wrapped up the tournament with an 89 which resulted in a four-round total of 344 which placed her in a tie for 16th.
Kali Gottsleben had another strong performance. She was USF’s only player to improve on her third round score. Gottsleben (83-80) carded an 80, which was a team-best Sunday to finish with a two-round total of 163. She did not appear in the fall portion of the championship.
Kelsey Leif (101-99-86-91) finished 39th, while Audrey Kieliszewski (103-96-91-97) placed 42nd.
With a 81.80 average this season, Rutherford currently ranks eighth in the conference for individual scoring average. As a team, USF’s 345.2 average is also the sixth-lowest in the NSIC.
2012-13 TOP FINISHES/ROUNDS
Rutherford (9x), Kieliszewski (2x), Johnson (1x), Tia Nihart (1x) Swaney (1x)
Individual Low Rounds:
1. 77 (+5) Swaney, Drury University Fall Shootout, 9/10-11/2012 (2nd round)
2. 77 (+5) Swaney, NSIC Women's Championship, 10/6-7/12 4/20-21/13 (3rd round)
3. 77 (+6) Rutherford, SDSU Invite, 9/30/2012 (2nd round)
4. 78 (+7) Rutherford, First Federal Invitational, 4/8-9/2013 (1st round)
5. 79 (+7) Rutherford, Drury University Fall Shootout, 9/10-11/2012 (2nd round)
Team Low Rounds:
1. 323 (+35) Drury University Fall Shootout, 9/10-11/2012 (2nd round)
2. 327 (+39) NSIC Women's Championship, 10/6-7/12 4/20-21/13 (3rd round)
3. 329 (+41) Mustang Invite, 9/22-23/2012 (1st round)
4. 330 (+46) First Federal Invitational, 4/8-9/2013 (1st round)
5. 337 (+53) Augustana Bakker Crossing Invitational, 9/3/2012 (1st round)
For a closer look at USF’s 2012-13 results, please see season statistics HERE.